Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A Fitting Introduction

My first trip to Montreal, Quebec City, and the province of Quebec was in December 1993. During the trip I met my future in-laws for the first time and learned how to downhill ski. The most appropriate aspect of the trip was that the temperature was minus 40 during our stay. When we visited Quebec city, we spent much of it running between tourist shops in order not to get too cold.

Any trip to Montreal is incomplete without a visit to the Belvedere overlooking the city. What is normally a short uphill stroll turned into a slippery bone-chilling brisk walk. The fingers of our friend Valerie even froze to her metal camera while taking a picture of the panorama above. The above shot shows how her breath crystalized on her hair during the short walk. Click on the photo for a closer look.

Thank goodness that I now have proper clothing and footwear to endure winters here.

4 comments:

Zeke's, the Montreal Art Gallery said...

Howdy!

It's 24 degrees out! Winter will be coming soon enough. There's no need to rush it.

Unknown said...

Good point, Chris. That thought did cross my mind. The reason I posted them was because I have been rumaging through boxes of slides, negatives, and photos, scanning whatever I find to be cool photos. If I would have found them during that heat wave, it would have been an appropriate time to post them then.

Anonymous said...

When I was hiking in the Laurentians last weekend I realized I was longing for winter. It's time for me to become Canadian I guess.

Unknown said...

Don't forget to get your maple syrup/blood transfusion first.

I actually got excited for fall the other day when the temps went down. I'm not quite as enthusiastic for winter though.