Sunday, June 11, 2006

#5

Back when I was a teenager, I did like many others and made mix tapes. Maybe I was anti-social, but mine were generally greatest hits for myself. A few tapes were compilations of songs related to a certain theme. Numerically inclined as I have always been, I numbered my mix tapes. I recently rediscovered some of the remaining tapes and have been listening to them in the car. I really liked this one (#5) and thought it would be fun to play a game. Here in order are selected lyrics from each song. Can you guess the song and band that goes with the lyrics and what was the theme of the tape? It's funny. My intended theme was one thing, but after reading the lyrics there seems to be quite another. If you need a hint, there was a certain genre omnipresent during the period I compiled it. So here are the lyrics:

Song A1: At the close of day, The sunset cloaks, These words in shadowplay, Here and now, long and loud, My heart cries out

Song A2: I've waited hours for this, I've made myself so sick, I wish I'd stayed asleep today

Song A3: She’ll hear me out, And won’t easily be converted, To my way of thinking, In fact she’ll often disagree, But at the end of it all, she will understand me.

Song A4: I've wasted all my tears, Wasted all those years. Nothing had the chance to be good, Nothing ever could.

Song A5: Fortunately you have got, Someone who relies on you, We started out as friends, But the thought of you just caves me in.

Song A6: Yonder she's walking, She comes my way, Her red dress on, Her long black hair.

Song A7: You were so in awe of me, You were so divine, You would do just anything, To still be mine.

Song B1: When routine bites hard, and ambitions are low, And resentment rides high, but emotions won't grow And we're changing our ways, taking different roads.

Song B2:When you're near, there's such an air, of spring about it, I can hear, a lark somewhere, waiting to sing about it.

Song B3: I'd love to touch the sky, So take me in your arms, And lift me like a child, Hold me up so high, And never let me go.

Song B4: I told you, That we could fly, 'Cause we all have wings, But some of us don't know why.

Song B5: Do you know what it means, To be left this way, When everyone's gone, And the feelings they stay.

Song B6: I've been a fool, talking to myself and no-one else, I play it cool, so cool that no-one ever understands me.

Song B7: Spinning on that dizzy edge, I kissed her face and kissed her head, And dreamed of all the different ways, I had to make her glow.

Song B8: We’ve always had time on our side, Now it’s fading fast, Every second, every moment, We’ve gotta make it last.

No comments: